Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Is POSCON Dead?

Kevin 1033011

Andrew Heath on Discord 2022-09-05 03:40

POSCON's path forward relies on funding. I have been self-funding this project for many years and I can no longer continue to do this. Going forward, there will be two parts to the POSCON project:

1.) For-profit, under Positive Control LLC

2.) Non-profit, under POSCON Inc. which will continue to support a free public membership

The for-profit side of this project is being formed in order to help fund the non-profit organization. My team will be focusing our development efforts exclusively on the for-profit business.

This announcement here I believe, was the killing blow. 

The whole situation is a Catch-22.

On one hand, POSCON is FAR from ready to be a paid-for service, with practically no one online ever. At this moment, there are 0 flights on POSCON. Vatsim reports 704 flights, IVAO reports 475 with a top of 852 the past 24 hours. Why would I pay to log on to POSCON and do my flight in complete silence? All the bells and whistles POSCON and the surrounding software (which I like a lot, the launcher is very good) has to offer mean nothing if there is no one around to use it. And furthermore, announcing that the free public membership members are shafted from any updates from now on surely doesn't help at all. 

On the other hand, POSCON won't ever become a new Vatsim unless people start to pay. I haven't made a single flight, I was scared away in the Beta, when pretty much all information I recieved was how I could be banned or punished, even for small infractions like using the wrong terminology when asking for a clearance. The reply I got when voicing those concerns in Discord can be boiled down to "be better, or use ghost lol". It was never meant for casual flyers, and they recieved what they ordered. 

For all intents and purposes as it looks today, the answer to the original post would be:  Yes, POSCON is dead.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter Wilhelmsson said:

Andrew Heath on Discord 2022-09-05 03:40

POSCON's path forward relies on funding. I have been self-funding this project for many years and I can no longer continue to do this. Going forward, there will be two parts to the POSCON project:

1.) For-profit, under Positive Control LLC

2.) Non-profit, under POSCON Inc. which will continue to support a free public membership

The for-profit side of this project is being formed in order to help fund the non-profit organization. My team will be focusing our development efforts exclusively on the for-profit business.

This announcement here I believe, was the killing blow. 

The whole situation is a Catch-22.

On one hand, POSCON is FAR from ready to be a paid-for service, with practically no one online ever. At this moment, there are 0 flights on POSCON. Vatsim reports 704 flights, IVAO reports 475 with a top of 852 the past 24 hours. Why would I pay to log on to POSCON and do my flight in complete silence? All the bells and whistles POSCON and the surrounding software (which I like a lot, the launcher is very good) has to offer mean nothing if there is no one around to use it. And furthermore, announcing that the free public membership members are shafted from any updates from now on surely doesn't help at all. 

On the other hand, POSCON won't ever become a new Vatsim unless people start to pay. I haven't made a single flight, I was scared away in the Beta, when pretty much all information I recieved was how I could be banned or punished, even for small infractions like using the wrong terminology when asking for a clearance. The reply I got when voicing those concerns in Discord can be boiled down to "be better, or use ghost lol". It was never meant for casual flyers, and they recieved what they ordered. 

For all intents and purposes as it looks today, the answer to the original post would be:  Yes, POSCON is dead.

Hi Peter,

I think you misunderstood what he wrote there. There will be a free part and a paid one. The latter should finance the former so you don't have to pay in order to use POSCON.

Also you won't get punished for using wrong terminology when asking for a clearance. If possible, do you by any chance know who said it or possibly wrote it? That way I would have the greater picture and can either ask why the person claimed what he did or maybe it was in a specific context. 

Hi there Kevin ,Poscon is not dead on the same time I would like to tell that it will continue to be free for flight simmers and ATC ,basically to support Poscon's operation , another unit of it ill be formed which makes aviation products, this is a big step forward in ensuring survival of the network. As for the traffic basically there in no flight on network because is busy with their IRL work but from my end I can assure you that in Hong Kong division we are working to get it up and running while Making documentation for pilots and atc ,rest other divisions are working to get their own division working as wel ,though development may be slow and may not be visible but i can tell it's happening behind the scenes