Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Editing OpenStreeMap (OSM)

• Network Directors

Hello all!

For those of you wishing to help POSCON, I finally have something worth-while to ask of you. I am sure most of you are familiar with OpenStreetMap (OSM): https://www.openstreetmap.org/

We will be using a version of this map for our "web viewer" and I am requesting that each of you take a look at your home airport(s) and make sure that the gates, tarmacs, taxiways, and runways are all up-to-date and have no visible errors. If you want your airport to look correct on the POSCON map, it is important that you make the necessary edits on OSM.

Every few months, we will download a new version of OSM and launch it on our own private tile server - these updates will include any changes you made. In order to edit OSM, you need an account with them.

Below, I have attached what I classify as a "visible error" at KJFK:

unknown.png

I went ahead and fixed the errors at KJFK on OSM and here is the revised version:

unknown (1).png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, Andrew H. said:

Hello all!

For those of you wishing to help POSCON, I finally have something worth-while to ask of you. I am sure most of you are familiar with OpenStreetMap (OSM): https://www.openstreetmap.org/

We will be using a version of this map for our "web viewer" and I am requesting that each of you take a look at your home airport(s) and make sure that the gates, tarmacs, taxiways, and runways are all up-to-date and have no visible errors. If you want your airport to look correct on the POSCON map, it is important that you make the necessary edits on OSM.

Every few months, we will download a new version of OSM and launch it on our own private tile server - these updates will include any changes you made. In order to edit OSM, you need an account with them.

Below, I have attached what I classify as a "visible error" at KJFK:

unknown.png

I went ahead and fixed the errors at KJFK on OSM and here is the revised version:

unknown (1).png

@Andrew H.

Sorry for the noob question, does that include labeling the taxiways as well?

• 7 months later...

There's quite some discrepancy between the various OSM airports in the way that parking positions and taxilanes (no official OSM feature) are implemented (lines -vs- points).

It would be nice to be able to see how the OSM changes influence the POSCON map.

When will this POSCON map be accessible so we can cross check our work?

• 3 months later...
  • Andrew Heath unpinned, locked and unfeatured this topic