Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

ATC examination

veselko (1018510)

Do you really think there is need of human examiners for ATC training?

Test with questions and multple answers can replace people most of the time, but still computer can't examine how efficient controller you are.

How many examiners will be really needed on POSCON?

My personal opinion as former ATC is that humans can't be replaced.

Theory can be tested by computer evaluated tests, but efficiency and ability to control airplanes in airspace, that's resevrd for people.

By using this way, we would maybe shorten time needed for training to get higher rating, because only for exams you would need people, training could be just theory and practice on ATC position.

5 minutes ago, veselko said:

Do you really think there is need of human examiners for ATC training?

Test with questions and multple answers can replace people most of the time, but still computer can't examine how efficient controller you are.

How many examiners will be really needed on POSCON?

My personal opinion as former ATC is that humans can't be replaced.

Theory can be tested by computer evaluated tests, but efficiency and ability to control airplanes in airspace, that's resevrd for people.

By using this way, we would maybe shorten time needed for training to get higher rating, because only for exams you would need people, training could be just theory and practice on ATC position.

I agree with you.
I think it is better to hire an instructor or examiner for each division.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HyeonSeok L. said:
I agree with you.
I think it is better to hire an instructor or examiner for each division.

Correct. We can always find few people per division that are able to do this exams.

I think they should be choosen by their relation to aviatioin in real life. Currently working or former pilots and air traffic controllers should have priority. Then second priority high ranked members of POSCON or other similar networks(IVAO and VATSIM).

Third place all others.

I don't want that we repeat the the same error as IVAO and VATSIM. They let nearly every division director, training coordinator to be trainer and examiner.

I think that here we don't need trainers, we only need examiners.

People are always able to read documentation.

This exams would just cehck their proficiency at various tasks realted to air traffic control. This way we won't have waiting lists for training and exams. Waiting time will be minimal.

Edited by veselko

I can address a few of these concerns. The whole point of POSCON is to not repeat the mistakes made in previous networks. ATC training will be more streamlined than in the past but will still feature the same high standards of quality control. ATC training will not be easy but will not require as much human intervention as the past.

POSCON's leadership structure is more centralized leading to a smaller division "staff" footprint. Ownership and control of training is maintained at the highest level but training duties for specific ARTCC's will be implemented. 

As of right now the training footprint is still being developed. Once we have a need to start training controllers there will be more information that is released.

Edit: More clarification

Edited by Zachary W.
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Zachary W. said:

I can address a few of these concerns. The whole point of POSCON is to not repeat the mistakes made in previous networks. ATC training will be more streamlined than in the past but will still feature the same high standards of quality control. ATC training will not be easy but will not require as much human intervention as the past.

POSCON's leadership structure is more centralized leading to a smaller division "staff" footprint. Ownership and control of training is maintained at the highest level but training duties for specific ARTCC's will be implemented. 

As of right now the training footprint is still being developed. Once we have a need to start training controllers there will be more information that is released.

Edit: More clarification

Agree with you 100%.

No need for wasting resources(people) for doing nothing.

We need to be as centralised as possible.

Touching on some of the points above, and as Zachary said, it is crucial that POSCON avoids repeating the mistakes committed in the past by other 'legacy' networks. ATC Training has been a huge part of my duties as the only staff member in one of the networks only because I was the only active member qualified enough to provide basic training. And of course, since I am not that experienced, training takes more effort, longer time, and many mistakes to be able to perfect it as much as possible.
There was never a reliable system for ATC training to be adopted for the division's needs, so we had to improvise and make our own ways.

Centralization brings comfort to my ears honestly. If only we had some base to build upon, the whole task of mentoring a new air traffic controller would sound more pleasing.

Looking forward to this part of POSCON!

We have a lot of experienced real world ATC and virtual controllers that are all helping make the training experience a much smoother and efficient process. When POSCON starts to expand to the later stages of open beta and full release more details will be made available about ATC training. Thank you all for your input!

• Like 3