Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Possible Ctaf/unicom freq

As a pilot and atc, i don't like using the standard unicom found in other clients, where you have to text.

My suggestion is that in airports with no atc usually and which are flown to often or in events, that there is a CTAF  (other wise known as unicom) freq with voice so that it is so realistic.

I feel like there should be a normal unicom as-well but at specific airports add this Idea 

Thanks for the development,

Best regards

• Network Directors

Our simulation will be like the real world:

• Published CTAF or UNICOM frequency on Comm #1 when in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airfield.
  • When outside of the airport environment, and in uncontrolled airspace, Comm #1 should be set to 123.45
  • Comm #2 should be set to 121.5 at all times, unless unable due to operational reasons.

There will be no "text" on POSCON. We have something better planned.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 8:16 PM, James Stacy said:

No text is an awesome ideal. The real-ness factor goes to level 10!

Yeah, especially when you have a house full of sleeping kids, and a sleeping spouse, and then can't fly on the network because you wake everyone up to keep the "real-ness factor."   

That reason is kind of short sighted to be blunt.  Voice in a late night household isn't always an option.

VATSIM for the win by allowing texting for those situations.

Tim

19 hours ago, Andrew Heath said:

I am willing to concede that to VATSIM.

@Tim S - POSCON will have ways to maintain a connection, even when you are not able to utilize voice, but there will be some limitations and mainly those have to do with when you are taxiing, taking off, or landing.

@Andrew Heath

So, flying on the network when the family is sleeping is a choice, and I certainly accept that it is on me for making that decision.  If what you are alluding to is a limited service experience if you don't use voice then I'm not sure how I feel about that for some other users.  There are disabled users, and users with speech issues, who's only choice will be limited POSCON service because they can't comply with a "voice comm's = full service" model.  Not the most inclusive, nor understanding way to proceed in my humble opine.

Tim

Edited by Tim S

• Network Directors

I understand your concern and trust me, I thought long and hard about it during the development process. What it ultimately boils down to though is that, while POSCON will be a free service open to the public, it is not a public utility. The network will have things that some may deem a limitation but that others, and arguably the majority, view increases the overall experience for all users.

Having said that, exceptions can and will be made for people with disabilities, but I must stress that what we provide for them will not be offered to all users. People with disabilities will have to reach out to us directly so that we can hopefully work around their specific needs.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Even though I am not affected by a disability of any kind (I thank God for that), I find it very important to make sure disabled people can be part of this great network. Thumb up Andrew.

Edited by flaneur
Typo | Privacy update

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, Andrew Heath said:

Our simulation will be like the real world:

• Published CTAF or UNICOM frequency on Comm #1 when in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airfield.
  • When outside of the airport environment, and in uncontrolled airspace, Comm #1 should be set to 123.45
  • Comm #2 should be set to 121.5 at all times, unless unable due to operational reasons.

There will be no "text" on POSCON. We have something better planned.

What if I am within controlled airplace (Shanwick, for example) without controller and no CTAF? Should it then be 123.450 or the Shanwick ordinary frequency?