Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Code by Division(just a debate.)

HyeonSeok L.

If you look at VATSIM or IVAO, they have call codes by division.
For example, the USA for VATSIM is VATUSA and XA for IVAO.
The staff is also named VATUSA1,VATUSA2, and IVAO is XA-DIR,XA-MA.
I just want us to have a debate, not an official code.
I think POSCON thinks POSUSA1,POSUSA2 is good.
Or I think POCUSA1,POCUSA2 is also good.
What do you think?
I want you to speak freely.
If the POSCON staff sees this article, I hope they will gather people's opinions and decide on the Division call sign. ^^

On 9/24/2019 at 1:18 AM, HyeonSeok L. said:

Please freely tell me the division code you want. 

The POSCON staff will like the Division-specific call sign you said. ?

Maybe just let every division choose for them. Jast as old latin proverb sayes Varietas delectat, we'll be happy with some differences between divisions(no exact format of call sign).

Edited by veselko

I think it's also important to keep in mind that, as I understand it, division staff on POSCON will be minimal compared to that of the other major networks.  Much more of POSCON's leadership and administrative structure will be centralized.  So coming up with unique callsigns for each division may be unnecessary when so few people will be given them.

And... it also might be the case that when a staff member is on the POSCON network flying or controlling, they would just use a normal aircraft or ATC callsign.  Speaking about VATSIM, I can't recall a time when I saw a staff member connected to the pilot/ATC network with their staff callsign actually performing some staff-related role where it was critical that everyone knew they were staff.  Seems to me to be just another form of elitism. 

Edited by Rob S.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Rob S. said:

I think it's also important to keep in mind that, as I understand it, division staff on POSCON will be minimal compared to that of the other major networks.  Much more of POSCON's leadership and administrative structure will be centralized.  So coming up with unique callsigns for each division may be unnecessary when so few people will be given them.

And... it also might be the case that when a staff member is on the POSCON network flying or controlling, they would just use a normal aircraft or ATC callsign.  Speaking about VATSIM, I can't recall a time when I saw a staff member connected to the pilot/ATC network with their staff callsign actually performing some staff-related role where it was critical that everyone knew they were staff.  Seems to me to be just another form of elitism. 

That's the exact reason to give them callsign, just because there are only few of them. They should be choosen according to strict rules so only the most experienced people(other networks/real life) will get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Network Directors

I think that this is a good suggestion. My opinion, and mind you, this is non-binding to POSCON, is that we should minimize bureaucracy as much as possible. Users will know who the division staff is. At the end of the day, what matters is the user experience, and not the rank/callsign used by individual members. In my experience, this individualized rank/callsign issues leads to its own problems down the road that we want to avoid. The focus here is on the network, the quality of service, the absence of needless bureaucracy, and replicating the real world experience as much as possible. We don't want to be VATSIM or IVAO; we won't make the same mistakes.

I'll leave it to other staff to comment on this. ?

• Like 2