Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

New Idea, Ground Handling

whether its flying with AI offline or flying online, planes parked at the gates are not being serviced by any ground handling crew.  My idea is simple, when the planes are on the ground with the beacon off, either an animation or an image of a catering or a fueling truck would appear, when the beacon are runnin they will, leave or disappear. Even going more extreme there would be a model matching system that have both fuel trucks and catering and can be requested online, similar to gsx or ground handling delux. The idea seems simple but implementing might be the challenge and since it could hit performance on a busy airport online, there could also be an option to turn it off. 

I actually like this idea, but really, we need to incentivize the development of something like this to both platforms. I can see GSX getting on board with this, we also need something for the X-Plane side.

The way I see it, there are several questions that need fulfilling:

- Would having additional entities/nodes passing through the POSCON server have a significant overhead

- How detailed would you need animations? To me, having the jetway connect and have ground crew just spawn in and out, is enough to make it plausible

- If things are animated, how do we co-ordinate that with scenery objects, ground handling plugins, and the poscon server?

- Could we possibly control ground equipment.(anyone who's seen squawkmodecharlie on twitch, will often see him control Dublin, and simulate scenarios with ground crew...e.g. fire, runway inspection etc.)

- Possibly get local bird strikes into POSCON?

- How do we incentivize players to not spawn on top of each other?

I think that's a more logical way to go about it. Simply saying "we don't need it" is exactly the attitude that stunts progress, which is not what POSCON is about.

12 hours ago, Dellanie Byron said:

I actually like this idea, but really, we need to incentivize the development of something like this to both platforms. I can see GSX getting on board with this, we also need something for the X-Plane side.

The way I see it, there are several questions that need fulfilling:

- Would having additional entities/nodes passing through the POSCON server have a significant overhead

- How detailed would you need animations? To me, having the jetway connect and have ground crew just spawn in and out, is enough to make it plausible

- If things are animated, how do we co-ordinate that with scenery objects, ground handling plugins, and the poscon server?

- Could we possibly control ground equipment.(anyone who's seen squawkmodecharlie on twitch, will often see him control Dublin, and simulate scenarios with ground crew...e.g. fire, runway inspection etc.)

- Possibly get local bird strikes into POSCON?

- How do we incentivize players to not spawn on top of each other?

I think that's a more logical way to go about it. Simply saying "we don't need it" is exactly the attitude that stunts progress, which is not what POSCON is about.

About bird strikes I don't think because POSCON seems that want apply the same(and appropriate) policy for emergency that is currently applied on VATSIM (ATC can refuse or interrupt an emergency), but an animation at the gate with every engine that isn't active and beacon off, and parking brakes on for ground services seems a great idea. I hope that this element will be applied, if not immediately, maybe in the future.

• Like 1