Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Upcoming Stress Test - Seeking Event Ideas

Andrew Heath

• Network Directors

In the near future, we want to achieve 100 simultaneous connections to stress test our network infrastructure. We need ideas for what kind of an event we should hold to achieve this result. Please suggest locations to conduct the event at (regions/airports) and dates/times that fit your schedule. Please post your ideas in the comments below.

A couple of notes:

• Radar equipped ATC will likely not be available in time for the event; however, we do have the ability to simulate one or more "VFR Towers" that could provide local air traffic control services for the event.
  • We ideally would like everyone to gather in the same "region". It doesn't necessarily need to be the same airport, although we can elect to do one airport if that is what people want.
  • We would like to have the event in the next 2 weeks, so please suggest dates and times that fall within that criteria.

Thanks!

• Developers

It is OSHKOSH season....  I'd like to suggest Monday night August 3rd at 8:00pm EDT (0000z+1)  as a shotgun start fly-in to KOSH.   If this suits, I could throw together a briefing to outline a few untowered fields within an hour to two flight from KOSH that users could randomly pick (and perhaps sign up) to depart from.

I don't think many would mind what region the flights are focused at, what 's important is to try and figure out what time could suit US-based and European-based users the most. For that, I know most EU-based people will be active between 1200z and 2300z tops. If US-based members can make a compromise, we can target a Saturday or a Sunday when most people are home without obligations and can fly.

Over 100 flights at one single field might be a bit difficult to achieve. People would need to be patiently waiting for their turn.

We might also pick an area with a couple of fields in the vicinity and do ordinary traffic patterns. Publish an Excel sheet and have people sign up for a field to divide them a bit.

This way you'd probably be having more air to air communications simultaneously on the servers.

In Italy we have several areas which have a lot of VFR airports, which are amazing to explore it! Lombardia, Piemonte e Valle d'Aosta, Sicilia, Campania, Trentino-Alto Adige, Calabria.....any area could be appropriate. In addition these area's are perfect for who is an expert of VFR operations, and for who would learn how to make any VFR flight! An event over one only airport seems just a little bit....problematic

Saturday's are typically best for me, so selfishly that's the day I would chose. ;-) With no radar ATC, I'm thinking a round-robin type event with either controlled or uncontrolled fields. Pick three (3) airports, or perhaps more and have everyone pick a starting airport and fly a bit of a round-robin type event.

• Developers
7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Over 100 flights at one single field might be a bit difficult to achieve. People would need to be patiently waiting for their turn.

We might also pick an area with a couple of fields in the vicinity and do ordinary traffic patterns. Publish an Excel sheet and have people sign up for a field to divide them a bit.

This way you'd probably be having more air to air communications simultaneously on the servers.

That's why I would plan it to bring in the aircraft over 2 hours. But that's still 50 planes an hour to land.

The flip side of having 100+ aircraft on 123.45 untill switching to tower is the limitted amount of transmitting that can be done. Because you don't want to step on others it would be  one at a time position reports. When the planes would be divided over multiple frequencies (different fields)  there would be way  much more communications going on simultaneously and thus putting more stress on the servers. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to fly the KOSH FISK-Arrival, but I'm not sure if this will suit the needs of the stress test. 

Maybe the DEV team can be more specific on what they want to test.  Connection load? Multiple simultaneously ATIS connections?  Multiple simultaneously transmissions? Etc.

Personally I love the Oshkosh idea.  But if we decide that can't work, here's a thought. 

If we want to do something conducive to both GA and airliners, how about a combined event into Portland, Oregon?  KPSC to KTTD VFR along the Columbia River is a breathtaking sight on a flight that may be 1 to 1. 5 hours depending on type.  At the same time, the tube jockeys can fly KSFO to KPDX, for about the same duration. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Andrew Heath locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic