Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

greate disapointment becouse AI Models Technique

i am very disappointed, becouse the Model Matching technique is the same as vpilot.

I hoped we get a Technique like Ivao´s MTL  library. 

But with that Model Matching Techniqu its very difficult to generate a good and error-free traffic.

And now, since FLAI is gone and out of service, i am unable to get any Traffic in the Sim. 

FLAI was not perfect in Vatsim at all, but a best effort to got traffic. 

AIG Traffic is not so userfrendly to get it matched with an online network, and need a massiv workflow and -load.

At this Time, POSCON and even Vatsim is a great disapointment for me, becoaus a good Traffic is so importent to me. 

Theas circumstance is so sadless. I am worrey about there is no solution in shorte terme. 

FLAi was a massive undertaking into which many, many hours of time were devoted over the space of many, many months.  The fact that it was so large and comprehensive, and its licensing problem so sudden and without warning, that replacing it is an equally massive undertaking.

Unfortunately it's the sort of situation that many complain about but few step up to help.  I'm sure that given enough time, a new solution will emerge once someone decides they have the time and energy to take it on.  But like you said, that's extremely unlikely to be a short-term project.

23 hours ago, Flori-Wan Kenobi said:

I hoped we get a Technique like Ivao´s MTL  library.

Agree. Instead of complex model matching rules, why not considering an approach similar to IVAO's solution: one can control how a plane appears to others out of a common library, which even covers details like engine types, winglets/sharklets or special liveries. Big differentiator for immersion, especially at busy airports.

Edited by Nick 1025154

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 3:28 AM, Nick 1025154 said:

Agree. Instead of complex model matching rules, why not considering an approach similar to IVAO's solution: one can control how a plane appears to others out of a common library, which even covers details like engine types, winglets/sharklets or special liveries. Big differentiator for immersion, especially at busy airports.

Yes, and this is the reason I am on IVAO. I love how simple it is and the choices are endless.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Andrew Heath said:

Have you guys tried our X-Plane library? Wondering if the technique we used with that library would be better suited for other simulator platforms in the future?

I'm using X-Plane almost exclusively, and yes, the quality of the models is good, if not outstanding. Yet the fundamental limitation remains: matching relies solely on ICAO airline identifier and aircraft type code, which cannot cover aircraft variants not reflected in the equipment codes nor different liveries.

PS: In addition, there is no indication to the member, if a certain combination will not result in a match (e.g. there is none for an A319 for All Nippon Airways, because the airline doesn't operate this type in RL), thus the model matching will revert to some other livery. I guess everyone is familiar with the awkward moments when e.g. ATC instructs you to follow "the company aircraft" and you see something totally different out of the window...

44 minutes ago, Andrew Heath said:

I have never used IVAO's, can you give me a tour of it or link me to a good video?

Sure, it's very similar, actually.

When you connect, you select Callsign. This has no effect on the appearance at all.

The MTL Aircraft field will accept any ICAO aircraft type code a model exists for. Once that is selected, the "MTL Variant" field is populated.

ivao1.jpg.9c53d3a1f3843ef1cf679e9f4e3861e8.jpg

Here the user has access to all available variants for the selected aircraft type. In this example, there is a choice between two different liveries for a B763 without winglets or the standard livery with winglets. If somebody makes model i.e. livery and this is accepted into IVAOs library, there is even a chance for different engine options and so on.

ivao2.jpg.da1549326cc973a1d375dc89b20d0e78.jpgT

The MTL (Multiuser Traffic Library) itself is maintained via an updater. This allows IVAO members to exactly control how their aircraft will appear to other users. Quite nice, I think ?

Edited by Nick 1025154

16 hours ago, Andrew Heath said:

So, the only difference between our X-Plane library/client and IVAO is the fact you can choose a variant?
If this is the case, then you will be happy to know our API supports it, but we haven't implemented it yet.

If POSCON's implemenation will ensure that all other members see exactly that selected model, e.g. a 767-300ER with a specific livery and engines (given a model exists in the common and over all supported simulators identical library of such), then I am very happy indeed with this news :)

• Network Directors

The problem is we don't have control over a P3D/FSX/MSFS model set. Our loose relationship with FLAi was the closest we have gotten to having some sort of influence over a model set for those platforms, but FLAi ended up going bust.

This is in stark contrast to how we handle X-Plane. Right now, we are fully in control of the X-Plane model set.

If you have any suggestions on how we can get our hands on a model set for P3D/FSX/MSFS, then your wish is my command and we can ensure commonality between the sets. 

Until then ?‍♂️

• 5 months later...

the Swift (swift-project.org) has an option in the settings to allow you to customize how it matches.. It defaults to where it search by aircraft first, and then airline, so if the flight in question is an AAL a320 and there's no a320 with the AAL livery, it will look for another airline with the a320 family. I have it set to do Airline first, and then aircraft, so if it can't find an aal a320 it will replace it with another AAL livery plane instead. Perhaps a system like this will work where users can decide how they want the model matching to prefer?