Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

bot planes

Ct Ng

I see that there are bot planes in the first public release of POSCON, I hope I am not wrong. If it doesn't, I hope POSCON can allow atc of less popular airports to generate traffic. For the first few times, atc has to manually type the route and other stuff of the flight plan for them. After the database is big enough, the system will auto pick a flight when the atc request generating a flight. To control these planes, atc has to manually select the speed and direction/taxiway for them with their mouse, while speaking on the radio simulating a conversation with the bot pilot.

POSCON do not need to simulate the bot pilot's reply. The atc will do the pilot's read-back too. POSCON only need to change the pitch of the atc when the atc is acting as a pilot.

Truly it sounds a bit weird, but when these planes can attract real players to fly into those airports, then one day atc might not need to generate bot planes to fill up the empty airport.

Edited by Ct Ng

4 hours ago, Ct Ng said:

I see that there are bot planes in the first public release of POSCON, I hope I am not wrong. If it doesn't, I hope POSCON can allow atc of less popular airports to generate traffic. For the first few times, atc has to manually type the route and other stuff of the flight plan for them. After the database is big enough, the system will auto pick a flight when the atc request generating a flight. To control these planes, atc has to manually select the speed and direction/taxiway for them with their mouse, while speaking on the radio simulating a conversation with the bot pilot.

POSCON do not need to simulate the bot pilot's reply. The atc will do the pilot's read-back too. POSCON only need to change the pitch of the atc when the atc is acting as a pilot.

Truly it sounds a bit weird, but when these planes can attract real players to fly into those airports, then one day atc might not need to generate bot planes to fill up the empty airport.

Hello Ct Ng,

I found some grammatical errors inside your message (don't worry, for me was very hard learn english), but luckly, I had understand which are your requests and idea's about how it should work the bot system.

The bot system was one of the main reason which has convinced me to join POSCON. A good system like this could allow for the ATC's with a low rank, to control with a minimum number of traffic guaranteed from/to the airport which is under their responsability. In addition, the opportunity to control a minimum number of flights can reduce the number of trainings required for a specific ATC rank, and make this process more faster and more efficient about theoretic side

I can't however release details about how it will works and the development. If you will luck, maybe someone of HQ can give you a reply.

Greetings from Italy. PS: check HERE if it was created a club inside the forum for a division inside your country. If no, ask here to create a club for a potential division for your country. When will be created the club, you can help POSCON for your country if you promove the network to your flight sim friends!

Edited by Andrea M.

For me, bot planes are the best idea implemented in POSCON. First thing actually to catch me was realistic simulation of radio. The second are bot planes. This is really good because even in smaller divisions when there aren't too many pilots, you can still enjoy beeing ATC. On legacy networks you would usually just seat and watch the screen. And don't forget to hope somebody will fly.

This is the how would I say that, game chainging idea. Whole new perspective opens just by implementing this. Maybe this could also be randomized, so you get airplanes from different airports...

This will also help POSCON be even more realistic, you could have realistic traffic as it is. For example you wouldn't have 1 plane per hour in Zagreb. I can only speak about airports mostly in Croatia and ex-yu countries, because this is my area. Untill 1995. I worked as military ATC and I have big experience in this area. But unfortunatly I don't know that much about other countries.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:46 AM, Ct Ng said:

Welcome my Friends you can join our Hong Kong Division Discord if you wish  https://discord.gg/3dehMFy   Cheers Benson 

On 11/14/2019 at 3:38 AM, Sebastiaan V. said:

I understand the desire to have bot planes, it sounds promising and useful.

I just wonder, would these show up via TCAS in the POSCON pilot's plane(s) as well? ?

If I remember correctly from what I recall being discussed on this topic months ago, the bot planes are injected into the POSCON network server the same way live human-controlled planes are, so your Pilot Client should not be able to tell the difference.  In short, yes, they should all show up on your aircraft TCAS if my understanding is correct.

The "bot planes" are called Drones. They are there to simulate real world traffic. As we develop the technology further drones will automatically disappear as human traffic in an area increases and reappear as human traffic slows. This allows for ATC to get experience in controlling traffic when humans are not on the network and pilots to fly around with other traffic. Drones are being designed to interact with human pilots without ATC intervention as well. Drones should modify their flight path to avoid issues with a human pilot. If the servers detect a possible collision between an AI drone and a human pilot then the drone will be ghosted from the network to prevent any possible issues. 

Drones serve to enhance the overall experience of the network and we are very excited to bring this technology into POSCON.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Curiously, will there be drones for simulating GA traffic flying under VFR?

If so, will they be capable of following official visual approach/departure routes and circuit patterns at uncontrolled airports as well as communicate with and avoid other nearby traffic?

On 12/14/2019 at 2:41 AM, Henry R. said:

Curiously, will there be drones for simulating GA traffic flying under VFR?

If so, will they be capable of following official visual approach/departure routes and circuit patterns at uncontrolled airports as well as communicate with and avoid other nearby traffic?

drones will fly whatever route they are flying IRL based on the live feed, and controllers will have the ability to vector them around traffic. When in uncontrolled airspace, as of right now, drones will not communicate (voice) with us (pilots connecting to the network). That's about all the info we can share at the moment. This is the development for a later stage after the launch. But those are good questions and something we will definitely be revisiting when ready. 

• Network Directors

I'm beyond excited for the bot planes - finally, busy skies and lots to look out for. While I'm not too privy on all details, rest assured, I feel like we're finally going to be able to say goodbye to AI and rely on our TCAS!

DISCLAIMER:
This is just my opinion, obviously, and is nonbinding on the network.

• Haha 1