Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Controller Client Updates

Andrew Heath

• Network Directors
17 hours ago, BTwissle said:

Would we have to use the ATC client or could we use euroscope maybe? Im an S1 Training on VATSIM ATM

Euroscope is the ATC client.

Gergely is porting a version of Euroscope over to POSCON to use. At the moment, there are two user-interfaces planned: one for US-controllers with US functionality and another for Europeans with European functionality. Any additional user-interfaces are not yet planned, but we would be more than happy to research them if enough interest (and data) is received.

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

There will be UIs for both US-based radars AND European-based radars. We can include more UIs for different areas, but we don't have an abundant amount of information on other scopes. If you are looking for something specific, it will help if you could gather that information and send it to us.

Now that is spectacular. I have never seen a client do something like this before. Well done and good Luck!!

• Like 1

• Network Directors
8 hours ago, aeroniemi said:

On that note, will ES plugins from vatsim be compatible with the poscon variant?

There has been no talk about eliminating the ability to use plug-ins.

7 hours ago, SebW01 said:

@Andrew will the voice co-ordination be like the VCCS system in use with euroscope?

also, will there be any compatibility with vStrips, as it's really good as an aerodrome controller to be able to use the procedures real-world use.

I would be happy to message you if you need any clarity.

Voice is being pulled from the ATC client and being added to a completely new client. This will allow users to use voice on a separate machine or maybe mobile device!

vStrips is a plug-in correct? If so, then it should be compatible.

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

There has been no talk about eliminating the ability to use plug-ins.

Rather than that, given all the other changes that seem to have occurred to the client, I was thinking more along the lines of their being likely SDK changes, which would have the potential to break other plugins, as happened between ES 3.1 and 3.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Network Directors
13 minutes ago, juliandemille said:

One thing that bugs me a bit: I know you want realism, but controllers will want an ATC client that looks good. It makes them feel better and boosts their morale. Is there any plan for a mode that may not be as realistic, but looks much more modern and appealing to controllers?

What kind of mode are you referring to here? Any examples?

Just now, Andrew said:

What kind of mode are you referring to here? Any examples?

I know this is a bit annoying, but I don't have anything particular in mind. My main concern is something that looks more modern and has a UI that doesn't need a 500-page manual. Controllers would love that. (I will admit that I was one of the people in ZNY to use vSTARS, so it's less of a concern to me)

• 1 month later...
  • Network Directors
On 3/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, EoinAviation said:

Will ERAM be the only simulated ATC client? Or will there be other simulations for systems such as Thales' TopSky, Lockheed Martin's Skyline, or is it more of a generic client with plugins like EuroScope.

The road map calls for the following clients, or user-interfaces, depending on how we decide we tackle it (one client or multiple).

• ERAM
  • STARS
  • ASDE-X
  • ATOP
  • A new version of EuroScope

The only unknown here is how EuroScope will be redesigned. Right now, we are planning to port over the existing features of ES, but it is kind of up to those who have more experience with controlling outside of the USA. If you are looking for NEW user-interfaces or clients, then you need to make those requests now and ideally provide us with the proper materials to design those UIs/clients.

I hope that answers your question.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

The road map calls for the following clients, or user-interfaces, depending on how we decide we tackle it (one client or multiple).

• ERAM
  • STARS
  • ASDE-X
  • ATOP
  • A new version of EuroScope

The only unknown here is how EuroScope will be redesigned. Right now, we are planning to port over the existing features of ES, but it is kind of up to those who have more experience with controlling outside of the USA. If you are looking for NEW user-interfaces or clients, then you need to make those requests now and ideally provide us with the proper materials to design those UIs/clients.

I hope that answers your question.

Sure does!
As long as this redesigned EuroScope allows all the same plugins from before (TopSky, UK Assistant, vSMR, etc.) then that'll be great!

• Like 1

Most of the non-US clients are very strongly proprietry, developed by ANSPs like NATS or companies like Thales, so finding good documentation will be near-impossible. Having said that, there are going to be a whole host of controllers our there that have experience using the software, so maybe getting them onboard might be helpful. I for one would really like to see the UK's AC (enroute) software, known as iTEC (a really nice looking and easy to use piece of software, with great coordination traits) or EXCDS (a combined canadian-UK flight strip system)

• Network Directors
6 hours ago, aeroniemi said:

Most of the non-US clients are very strongly proprietry, developed by ANSPs like NATS or companies like Thales, so finding good documentation will be near-impossible. Having said that, there are going to be a whole host of controllers our there that have experience using the software, so maybe getting them onboard might be helpful. I for one would really like to see the UK's AC (enroute) software, known as iTEC (a really nice looking and easy to use piece of software, with great coordination traits) or EXCDS (a combined canadian-UK flight strip system)

Actually, the US ATC hardware/software is also highly proprietary. Unlike other free organizations, we would be willing to pay those companies for that information though. Not sure if this is an option?

The other option you suggested (getting controllers with experience to help) is definitely another possibility, but these controllers need to be put in touch with me. I really can't seek them out at this time. Are you able to to refer them to me?

Thanks!

I've done some research into iTEC (interim technology for european control according to NATS, or interoperatability through european collaboration) and have found that it's made by Indra systems, and available for other ANSPs to purchace on contract, likley for rather large sums of money. Their contact details are [email protected] , perhaps it's worth asking them if something could be agreed on (although i'm skeptical you'll be able to get any actual software for security reasons, they might part with some user manuals or something)

I've also contacted some of my ATC friends to see if they'd be able to assist

• Network Directors
6 hours ago, aeroniemi said:

I've done some research into iTEC (interim technology for european control according to NATS, or interoperatability through european collaboration) and have found that it's made by Indra systems, and available for other ANSPs to purchace on contract, likley for rather large sums of money. Their contact details are [email protected] , perhaps it's worth asking them if something could be agreed on (although i'm skeptical you'll be able to get any actual software for security reasons, they might part with some user manuals or something)

I've also contacted some of my ATC friends to see if they'd be able to assist

Thanks for your help, user manuals is all we are looking for!

Hello!

I wondered whether a client capable of facilitating approach procedural (i.e. non-radar) could ever be considered for airports that have that position in real life? It is a very different skill from approach surveillance (radar), as it involves relying on pilots reporting at certain points, and time-based separation to be applied through holding and estimated times at certain fixes. The client would need to provide the controller with the flight progress strips for each arriving / departing aircraft, with the ETAs for certain points, which the controller could either print - or indeed drag around the screen - as the aircraft arrives at each point.

I'm not suggesting this be a priority - just an interesting idea to consider down the line :)

Cheers,

Caspian

• Network Directors
1 hour ago, chpmerlin said:

Hello!

I wondered whether a client capable of facilitating approach procedural (i.e. non-radar) could ever be considered for airports that have that position in real life? It is a very different skill from approach surveillance (radar), as it involves relying on pilots reporting at certain points, and time-based separation to be applied through holding and estimated times at certain fixes. The client would need to provide the controller with the flight progress strips for each arriving / departing aircraft, with the ETAs for certain points, which the controller could either print - or indeed drag around the screen - as the aircraft arrives at each point.

I'm not suggesting this be a priority - just an interesting idea to consider down the line :)

Cheers,

Caspian

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

I actually think this will be entirely possible. FEs will be a be able to configure their sectors to be "radar" or "non-radar", at least that what is planned.

• Like 1