Join the POSCON Public Discord Server! ×

Controller Client Updates

Andrew Heath

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for ATC frequencies to be changed more easily, say without disconnecting from the network, or without asking all aircraft to change to another frequency? An example being when downsizing or merging en route sectors depending on workload.  This would be very useful during events or traffic rushes.
This could tie in with handling multiple frequencies or simulating all ATC positions even when not fully staffed, similar to how PilotEdge does it. If this was even partly simulated then divisions could make specific procedures depending on how they want to operate, but I think standardisation would be useful to avoid a mismatch of network procedures like other places see right now.

Thanks

3 hours ago, lewis said:

Would it be possible for ATC frequencies to be changed more easily, say without disconnecting from the network, or without asking all aircraft to change to another frequency? An example being when downsizing or merging en route sectors depending on workload.  This would be very useful during events or traffic rushes.

+1

Edited by Josh G

• Network Directors

Hi! The great news is we were discussing this very topic at length prior to the holiday and we have come to some reasonable conclusions. I wont go in the great detail about what we are planning to do in the event that the plan changes, but here are some generic points:

• Voice coordination will be significantly easier and will become the primary means of coordinating. (No more need for chat boxes)
  • All frequencies in a sector can be used, similar to PE but with some notable differences.
  • Taking over a frequency from a previous controller will be much easier. It will not require disconnects.
  • Local procedures or policies shouldn't be necessary.

• Network Directors
5 hours ago, Lukas Svaton said:

If Gergely Csernak has time to do this then is there a possibility to develop Time based separation planner for the client. It would be a very helpful too to be using as APP in places like LFPG or OMDB

It is on the development list.

• Network Directors
14 hours ago, Josh G said:

Andrew, will text-communication be supported by the network, or will all pilot-controller communications take place over voice?

Text will be handled much differently on POSCON than it is handled on VATSIM. We will be allowing text, but it won't be "free-text" like VATSIM is. Our method will have structure to it. This will make it easier for both pilots and controllers to use without getting significantly distracted.

In general, text will be STRONGLY discouraged though. We will attempt to get all users that are capable of using voice, to use voice through proper training.

Not sure if this question has been asked but here goes....

Is this ATC client going to be cross-platform or can be only be used in Windows.

Additionally, do you have any ideas about data-prepping in similar instances of the way IVAC2 creates their sector files. It would be great if people could have the format on how a sector can be made.

Thanks and good luck!!

• Network Directors
9 hours ago, Lukas Svaton said:

Not sure if this question has been asked but here goes....

Is this ATC client going to be cross-platform or can be only be used in Windows.

Additionally, do you have any ideas about data-prepping in similar instances of the way IVAC2 creates their sector files. It would be great if people could have the format on how a sector can be made.

Thanks and good luck!!

Cross-platform!

I am somewhat aware of the way IVAC2 does it, maybe you could elaborate a bit more on PM about this.

The plan now is to have a completely new format, but SCT2 will definitely get a division started and may act as an interim format during beta.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Cross-platform!

I am somewhat aware of the way IVAC2 does it, maybe you could elaborate a bit more on PM about this.

The plan now is to have a completely new format, but SCT2 will definitely get a division started and may act as an interim format during beta.

oh yes because some of client are only support windows but at other OS they did not support example mac os chrome os linux... etc so if also support for ios or android some Mobile operating system it will be also great 

• Network Directors
2 hours ago, benson wong said:

and  also have some question when if  i  am an  position at CTR buy no one under so actually i will need to open two cilect to lookover gnd and FIR is that will have an Integration of that so even have small screen also can make it easy 

We have fixed this issue with some zoom features.

• Network Directors
10 hours ago, aeroniemi said:

I think the controller client would benefit from some kind of anti-aliasing, as ES looks horrible on higher resolution screens - on that note, UI scaling, both for the pop-up windows and the top bar/dropdowns, as even on my 4k laptop not everything fits on the screen

This is a great suggestion, and I agree with you. I have passed it on to the developers.

• Network Directors
48 minutes ago, Lukas Svaton said:

sure, but may I know if the client will be mainly be have a look alike to Euroscope or something more used in Europe? Or can be both?

There will be UIs for both US-based radars AND European-based radars. We can include more UIs for different areas, but we don't have an abundant amount of information on other scopes. If you are looking for something specific, it will help if you could gather that information and send it to us.

• Like 1